Are you struggling with morning sickness?
Most of the time our midwives or doctors will tell us that morning sickness is just something we have to deal with during pregnancy… Yep thanks for that doc. But that didn’t stop me wondering back during my first pregnancy if there was a more natural way to deal with it.
Incredibly we still don’t know the exact cause of nausea during pregnancy but it’s thought to be caused by various changes, altered hormones, slower movements of the gastrointestinal tract as well as psychological factors.
Symptoms normally kick in around the 6-12 week mark, however if you notice nausea for the first time after 12 weeks you should consult your doctor just in case as it may be due to different causes.
Ways in which we can help reduce nausea in pregnancy include:
- Staying in bed for 15 minutes after waking.
- Eating small meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Avoid drinking fluids before or immediately after meals
- If your prenatal vitamins are causing problems, try making sure you take them with food or just before bed.
In some cases a doctor may prescribe medication or supplements such as Pyridoxine Vitamin B6 to ease the symptoms; thankfully in most cases nausea and vomiting will not affect the health of you or your baby and if possible it’s always best to try and find dietary and lifestyle based solutions to help ease morning sickness. Wheatgerm is also great added to smoothies as it’s a great source of vegetable proteins, along with fibre and healthy fats. It’s also a good source of magnesium, zinc, thiamine, folate, potassium, and phosphorus so try to make sure you’ve always got some in the cupboard for adding to your breakfast smoothie.
Vitamin B6 Morning Sickness Smoothie
- Smoothie maker or blender
- 1 Sliced Banana
- 1/2 A Ripe Avocado
- 1 tbsp Wheatgerm
- 1 Cup Plant Based Milk
- 2 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 1 tbsp Sugar Free Peanut Butter
- Add your milk and spinach to the blender or smoothie maker and blend on high until smooth
- Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until you have the right consistency.
- Serve immediately
This super delicious smoothie is packed full of Vitamin B6 foods which may help.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and what or if any foods that have helped you..
Happy healthy pregnancies to you all.